Re: Opinion on Debian documentation

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 08:25:17PM +0200, Alexandru Vochescu wrote:
>                 Hi,
>
>                 I am working at a task at google code-in where i have to
> write about "documentation structure of other projects". I chose to
> write about Debian, because i'm used to Debian (I have Debian Sid). And
> this task also says "plus finding a way of determining the project's
> opinion of their documentation (a docs@ mailinglist might be a good
> start)" , so , can you tell me what's your opinion of Debian
> documentation? ( I would apreciate very much if you can reply me in less
> then a day .

This is not a good way to do good research :-)  Too rush ...

> That's my deadline for the task). Link to the task:
> http://www.google-melange.com/gci/task/view/google/gci2012/7953209 .

Maybe too late but FYI

its web archive) to address more trangent and fast moving needs for
documentation.

========== Long answer ===========
Debian related documentation can be found in several sources:

1. Debian packages

Released official documents are packages as Debian packages just like
other software.  debian-policy contains the most essential policy while
developers-reference contains best practices.  Write access is limited
to the maintainer but updates of their contents can be requested via
Debian BTS system http://www.debian.org/Bugs/ .

Also, each released software package contains
/usr/share/doc/README.Debian where debian specific documentation
specific to the package.

2. Debian web site

This is the pages accessible as www.debian.org and mostly managed by
people discussing on debian-www@lists.debian.org .  Actual contents are
managed by CVS at :ext:username@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/webwml as explained
http://www.debian.org/devel/website/using_cvs

These are static web pages generated by webwml. Most translation using
PO system to keep them in sync.  Its write access is limited to alioth
webwml member : https://alioth.debian.org/projects/webwml/

3. Debian doc

This is the sub-project of Debian to support Debian specific
documentation.  The page at http://www.debian.org/doc/ can be considered
as its front page.  It uses  debian-doc@lists.debian.org as primary
communication channel.  Its sources are located in subversion repository
at svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/ddp/manuals/trunk .  Its write access is
limited to alioth ddp member : https://alioth.debian.org/projects/ddp
(The source of debian-policy, developers-reference, release notes, and
FAQ are hosted here.)

VCS contents tends to be a bit ahead of released packages and is
published as generated web page under http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/

Most of these documentation uses DocBook XML (Some still use
Debiandoc-sgml which is an extended linux-doc).

4. Debian installer documentation

discussion and work on Debian-Installer.  These people also produce its
installer documentation.  This source is hosted withing Debian installer at
svn+ssh://$userid@svn.debian.org/svn/d-i/trunk .

Its generated pages can be seen
http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/installmanual

If I remember correctly, the source of documentation uses DocBook XML.

5. Debian wiki

This is the pages accessible as wiki.debian.org and managed by
some people on debian-www@lists.debian.org .  Actual contents are
contributed by almost anyone who register themselves with their email
address.  Its back-end is MoinMoin.

6. Debian mailing list archive

Especially http://lists.debian.org/devel.html#debian-devel-announce
This contain essential documentation in plain text.

Basically, all these are adopted by the immediate needs, technical
feasibility, and availability via do-ocracy.

Good luck,

Osamu