Re: mjg59's blog on planet.d.o

On Tue, October 30, 2012 12:38, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> * Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.fi>, 2012-10-30, 09:45:
>>>AFAIK Matthew Garrett hasn't been "active and directly involved
>>>participant in the Debian development community" for years. What is
>>>the reason for keeping his blog on planet.d.o?
>>Matthew has been blogging frequently over the several past years, and
>>aggregated on Planet Debian.  He has, for example, written a lot about
>>UEFI and Secure Boot, and the different ways in which Linux and
>>distributions can handle them. You said nothing then.
>>
>>Now, when he blogs about what Ted Ts'o has said about rape, you react.
>>This sounds an awful lot like you want to remove Matthew from Planet
>>Debian because of his opinions on that issue.
>
> You guessed (almost) right.
>
> I am fine with active Debian contributors blogging about "women's
> rights". I also occassionally enjoy a high-quality technical posts written
> by an outsider. I can normally even stand when outsiders blog about
> non-technical matters. However, I do not wish that Planet Debian
> syndicates posts that denigrate Debian developers.

Matthews blog post at hand is to me in very bad taste. From time to time I
see blog posts from DD's in bad taste, even specifically when relating to
Debian or indivual developers. Whether someone can exercise good taste,
obviously subjective matter, in writing blog posts is not a selection
criterion for Planet Debian. And rightly so. Blogs are the perfect place
to put content of a highly personal nature. It's clear to everyone that
such posts are not endorsed by anyone but the author. I see no problem
here to solve.

Cheers,
Thijs