Re: trademark policy draft

Michael Gilbert writes ("Re: trademark policy draft"):
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> > The benefit is that we have a legal tool against someone doing something
> > nasty with our name. Which is nice to have, but doesn't come for free.
> > It's hard to quantify as well: the benefit is for a future situation of
> > which we do not know if or when it will happen.
>
> For what its worth, there are existing situations: e.g.
> debian-news.net, debian-administration.org, debianadmin.com,
> debian-handbook.info, debian-multimedia.org.
>
> Only one of those has been specifically opposed by the project, and a
> kind request resulted in a domain rename without any kind of legal
> wrangling (now deb-multimedia.org).

I don't think you can say that this rename wasn't made easier by our
possession of the trademark.  I wasn't involved in the discussions
with the other project but whenever you have a negotation like this,
the legal context is in the background.

Like any other dispute, these kinds of things are normally resolved
without having to go to a formal dispute resolution - but what _would_
happen if the dispute were to be escalated is a very important factor
in the negotiations.

Ian.