Re: Introducing http.debian.net, Debian's mirrors redirector

Raphael Geissert wrote at 2012-06-21 20:09 -0500:
> On Thursday 21 June 2012 18:19:16 Faidon Liambotis wrote:
> > b) You announced this to d-d-a and your blog/planet. However, I believe
> > that there are readers of those media -esp. planet- that are not that
> > much involved into Debian practices and may not know the distinction
> > between debian.org & debian.net. I think people announcing such services
> > publically should be careful and note that it's a personal service of
> > theirs, rather than the project's. I'm not suggesting that you mislead
> > people intentionally but rather that I would like you to be more
> > explicit in the future -- or the present, e.g. in http.d.n's homepage).
>
> The only thing preventing it from being a "project service" is that it isn't
> hosted under d.o, in DSA-administered hardware. I find it ironic and sort of
> offensive that you even mention this.

For what it is worth, I was puzzled by the "announcement" because it seemed
to be on an "official" domain but did not seem to be announced through
"official" channels.  So I agree with Raphael on this; it would be nice to
make that clear in announcements and on the http.debian.net page.  Please
take that as a suggestion for making a good idea even better with regard to
Debian.

> For as long as I have been involved in Debian the usual way to make a
> service official was and is by first giving it a debian.net subdomain and
> having people use it as to demonstrate its need and usefulness.
> There have been exceptions to that rule, perhaps there's even some policy
> somewhere that I'm not aware of. Perhaps it's just a matter of getting a
> project "blessed" by some especial person.
>
> (yeah, that last statement was uncalled for, but perhaps its "good" side
> should be seen and some sort of policy written. In no way I meant or mean to
> offend the current members of the DSA team.)

I feel that I am forced, for the sake of security (even if misguided), to
always differentiate between "official" Debian and other services, hence the
concern about official versus not.  However, this type of service is one that
I have felt was missing, and certainly appreciate your efforts to make
something like this happen.  I hope someday this can be "officially"
recognized as a Debian service.

As a Debian user, I appreciate those who continue to "polish the cogs" so we
can have a useful operating system.