Re: Diversity statement for the Debian Project

On Fri, 6 Apr 2012 00:03:50 +0200, Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 10:32:21PM +0200, Francesca Ciceri wrote:
>
> > The Debian Project welcomes and encourages participation by everyone.
> >
> > It doesn't matter how you define yourself or how others define you:
> > we welcome you.  We welcome contributions from everyone
> > as long as they interact constructively with our
> > community.
> >
> > While much of the work for our project is technical in nature,
> > we value and encourage contributions to Debian from those with
> > expertise in other areas and welcome such contributors in our community.
>
> I love how this is increasing in awesomeness as it is decreasing in
> size.

Definitely.

> I feel like suggesting two minor patches, labor limae if anything:
>
>  s/contributions to Debian/contributions/
>  s/expertise in other areas/expertise in other areas,/
>  s/welcome such contributors in our community/welcome them in our community/
>
> which would give:
>
> > While much of the work for our project is technical in nature,
> > we value and encourage contributions from those with
> > expertise in other areas, and welcome them in our community.

Tiny nitpick:

  welcome ... in

seems wrong to my native ear, but I'm not sure why.  I would go for:

  welcome ... to

Also, is the "them" supposed to be the contributions or the people
making them?  Probably both, but I think that unanswered question may be
why I'm not able to come up with a better version of this, as well as
the reason it doesn't seem quite right to me at present.

If the answer to that is meant to be the people, then that could be made
plain with:

  welcome ... into

Cheers, Phil.