Re: revenue sharing agreement with DuckDuckGo

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 07:02:44PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Is DuckDuckGo aware of the fact that Debian is upstream of a number of
> derivative distributions that just import our packages, and if we modify
> our packages to do this, other distributions will be counted as "Debian"
> for their revenue-sharing purposes even if they aren't exactly?

They do. To be sure it was the case, and thanks to your suggestion, I've
raised this point. They are well aware of the upstream-downstream
continuum that exists between software authors and distributions, as
well as among distributions themselves.

> Related, do they realize that we cannot and will not enforce any of the
> terms of their contract with us on any derivative distribution that
> happens to import Debian web browser packages?

They are fine with the fact that we will not make any efforts to enforce
their terms with our downstreams and, dually, with the fact that our
upstreams will not be responsible for our changes, in case they've
agreements. (Even though, for reasons discussed elsewhere in this
thread, we should not be in that business.)

Note that nothing in the draft agreement made me think that we were
responsible for downstream changes, but checking didn't hurt.

Cheers.