Re: Diversity statement for the Debian Project

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 05:53:48PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 04:40:58PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > On 12-03-27 at 03:45pm, Francesca Ciceri wrote:
>
> > > Yes, I agree on accuracy. But please, note that "neurotype" - even if
> > > it hasn't scientific recognition as concept - is the way some people
> > > define themselves. And we must respect it.
>
> > I favor what others have suggested: Completely avoid listing specific
> > kinds of diversities to avoid misinterpretation that we _favor_ being
> > non-diversive in certain ways.
>
> > I don't mind listing some - but I fear the bikeshedding of which that
> > should then be.  You have "neurotype" as a favorite.  I can imagine many
> > having various favorites ;-)
>
> I agree with Jonas here I'd also add that an enormous list of topics of
> discrimination doesn't make for inspiring prose either, making the whole
> thing seem like a bureaucratic exercise.

These are not "an enormous list of topics of discrimination'. Quite the
opposite. If you pick an old one like race, which has been and still is a
means that some people use as a basis for discrimination, the person of a
certain race is not the one discriminiating, its the people who are not
accepting of this aspect of diversity who are. If we say we accept people of
all races or that we dont discriminate based on race, then we are not the ones
who are going to discriminate, and this is a good thing and is welcoming.

--
|  .''`.  == Debian GNU/Linux ==.| http://kevix.myopenid.com......|
| : :' :     The Universal OS....| mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/.|

In a five year period we can get one superb programming language.  Only
we can't control when the five year period will begin.