Re: revenue sharing agreement with DuckDuckGo

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 10:26:18 +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli <leader@debian.org> wrote:
> I welcome feedback on this matter,

I already install DDG as default search engine on any (Linux or Windows)
user that lets me fiddle with their setup, so as far as I'm concerned
this is a case of us being paid to do something that will save me effort.

I realise that's an almost completely irrelevant data point, but if it
were the case that other DDs are doing similar, then we should probably
be changing the default regardless of this payment offer.

Of course establishing whether that's the case is not likely to be
possible, but I suppose the iceweasel maintainer could canvas opinions,
or just make a decision as they see fit (in the usual manner).

Having a small, Free Software friendly search engine as the default also
makes sense on the basis that it would help remind people that these
things can be customised.

On the other hand, I suppose there's some tiny chance that Google will
be offended, and reduce sponsorship of DebConf, or be less willing to
give us GSoC projects, say.  If we were being mercenary one might want
to compare how much money we're likely to get from DDG with the
potential loss from Google, but as you say, this should be a technical
decision, so if Google get upset about it, that's not really something
to be taken into account.

If we go for this, what are the chances of getting DDG to sponsor
DebConf as well in addition to the offered profit share?  ;-)

Cheers. Phil.