Re: trademark licenses and DFSG: a summary

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 10:03:35AM +0000, Gervase Markham wrote:
> "This software and its derivatives are endorsed by Gervase Markham,
> until such time as he withdraws that endorsement for a particular
> derivative. If he does so and informs the maintainer of that
> derivative, this paragraph must be removed from that derivative."
>
> Does the presence of those two sentences in a README make the
> software non-free?
Yes it does. It fails the DFSG test. It is why some trademark licenses
are a problem.

Now, the only difference is the fix. For a license it is removing the
package for a trademark it is renaming, maybe.  Sentences like that are
exactly why our proposed trademark policy should be what it is.

 - Craig
--
Craig Small VK2XLZ   http://enc.com.au/          csmall at : enc.com.au
Debian GNU/Linux     http://www.debian.org/      csmall at : debian.org