Re: OSI affiliation

Jeremiah Foster <jeremiah@jeremiahfoster.com> writes:

> I think there is room to join OSI as an observer of some kind and
> explicitly say to them that they don't get to use a Debian stamp of
> approval in their marketing material.

Yes, this.

I think it's fine, and even a good idea, for Debian to join closely
related projects with which we share some common goals even if we don't
agree with everything that project says, as long as we make that publicly
clear.  There's still room to cooperate and to steer the direction of the
other organization hopefully closer towards our project's goals.

I'm a member of the FSF, but I don't use copyleft for any of my software
and I think the GFDL is a poorly-written license.  I don't feel like I
have to agree with everything they do in order to want to support the
organization.

> Or make joining OSI conditional upon some sort of purge of icky licenses
> on their side.

We would need to start by identifying the licenses that we care enough
about to demand that they be purged.  I suspect that list may be of zero
size, mostly on the "care enough about" front.