Re: OSI affiliation

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 09:56:02 +0000, Gervase Markham <gerv-gmane@gerv.net> wrote:
> If you read the OSI discussion lists, you'll certainly find senior
> figures in that movement regretting previous decisions, e.g. about
> particular license approvals. Having groups like Debian involved seems
> to me that it will reduce the likelihood of more of that happening in
> the future.

If they regret them, then they should revoke the bogus approvals.

They presumably don't want to look foolish by doing that, but the
foolishness is all too plain already, and they're doing ongoing damage
by not rectifying the situation.

Clearly neither the FSF nor we will be deciding to now approve licenses
that even people in OSI agree should never have been approved, so if some
sort of agreement between all is to be achieved, in those particular
cases it will require movement from OSI.

I presume if we affiliate, that we'll see a press release from OSI along
the lines of:

  Debian gives stamp of approval to OSI

which if anything will reduce any pressure they feel to repent past sins.

If "senior figures" have not managed to swing that argument so far, I
don't see that adding another voice to the committee that's failing to
make a useful decision will suddenly precipitate one.

Cheers, Phil.