Re: 1 year release good enough.

Le dimanche 01 janvier 2012 à 16:19 +0530, dE . a écrit :
> > This is bullshit. Desktop systems don’t have specific release cycle
> > needs. Also note that the most popular desktop operating system uses a
> > release cycle of 3 years, not 1 year.
>
> You might not have known, but the LTS release is not often used much....

What LTS release? There’s only one major Windows release every 3 years,
and you can’t say these releases aren’t used much.

> Ok, I'll given e.gs. For starters, try compiling GIT ffmpeg on one of
> the stable boxes.... Hay, that's the official ffmpeg way...

Why wouldn’t it work? I had no trouble at all backporting libav to
stable not long ago. Of course, the fact that libav developers are
morons when it comes to releasing doesn’t help, but it’s not related to
our release cycle.

> What about attack surface? Desktops are issues cause most people use
> Windows, and we ain't talking bullshit OSs here.
>
> A server is on day and night increasing the attack surface -- still
> worst, it has to listen and respond to queries which may be malformed to
> trigger a vulnerability. But Desktops have file wall installed -- they
> take no queries.

Could you do one thing for me? Just one? Please never, EVER, apply for a
job which is even remotely related to computer security.

Thank you, and happy year 2012.

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :