Re: New round of IRC sessions

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 06:31:11PM +0200, Francesca Ciceri wrote:
> [CC-ed project: the discussion is about how to organize a new round of DW
> IRC training sessions, a general idea on the schedule could be find at
> [1], please reply on -project]

Heya, thanks a lot for restarting this topic.  I agree that periodic IRC
sessions for: accountability of specific roles, tutorials, group
meetings, etc would be a very useful thing to have in Debian.

> > * I'm not convinced that having a separate channel for questions when
> > the people attending is less than 20 is helpful.  It means having to
> > constantly switch between 2 windows, for a very very small reduction
> > in noise.  Until the amount of people attending really justifies it, I
> > think that sticking to one channel is preferable.
>
> Yes, I agree.

True, but there are also advantages in the separate channel. For
instance, I can imagine the "moderator" (in a broad sense) helping out
in the question preparation channel in many ways. A couple of examples
are: avoiding that we get 10 very similar questions in a row, helping
out people that are not very fluent in English to prepare their question
before posting, etc.  I have never organized them myself, but we have in
Debian experience of DPL IRC debates, I suggest to check with the
organizers of such debates what they think: it's always good to learn
from past experience :) IIRC they used to have first a mode "moderated"
part with questions prepared separately and then a more "messy" part
open to everything.

In the same vein, various DDs have took part in the events like the
ubuntu open week as "teachers" on the interaction with Debian. It might
be useful to ask them about their experiences with IRC sessions there.

(Maybe you've already done all the above, ignore the above [and kick me]
if this is the case.)

Good luck for the organization,
I'm looking forward to the first session!

Cheers.