Re: Summary of scientific research on Debian (was: DD age histogram)

Paul Wise dijo [Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 04:47:52PM +0200]:
> > What about collecting the actual document and attaching them to this
> > page (license permitting), or a DOI link? What about merging the
> > separate publication list into this page (actually there was a
> > discussion on a canonical reference file for Debian related work on
> > debian-science some time ago)?
>
> I doubt many of them have an acceptable license for distributing,
> links would be great.
>
> Merging seems reasonable.

Well, if you are the author, even though the final print-copy files
are not freely distributable (as they include layout that's usually
property of the publishing journal/editorial), you can always decide
to share publicly the final version you sent for them to form. Having
that, together with full publication information, should be enough.

Also, thankfully, every day there are more Open Access-friendly
academic publications. FWIW, my University (not a particularly liberal
one, and a very large one) is pushing all of its Institutes and
Faculties to set up public repositories with Open Access (yes, not
necessarily DFSG-free, but a huge difference from the completely
closed model used until recently).

> > The publication itself can be considered feedback -- it is just that you
> > need to know that it is there in order to be able to read it in order to
> > form a personal opinion.
>
> Yeah, especially if the research is presented at DebConf. That said it
> is one thing to publish some research and present it at DebConf but
> entirely another to use those conclusions to actively push Debian in
> new/better directions.

Please keep in mind that if you presented a preliminary work at a
previous DebConf, you can still edit the event and attach the
published (or updated) material.