Re: Summary of scientific research on Debian (was: DD age histogram)

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 03:45:32PM +0200, Paul Wise wrote:
> There is one mentioned here:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Statistics#Scientific_papers_with_statistics_about_Debian
>
> And some more here:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/research

Thanks for the pointers!

> > I find the social and technical dynamics of Debian fascinating -- I'm
> > sure I'm not alone. By exposing prior research on the project more
> > prominently we might be able to encourage further research and maybe
> > learn something from it.
>
> I'd encourage you to contribute to the research wiki page if you find
> any new/old research.

I will. However, I wonder if the current setup of this page is optimal.
The page doesn't offer the actual papers -- only links to the people who
wrote them. Not all the links actually point to something meaningful.
Moreover, such links are often doomed to become invalid -- simply by the
way science careers work.

What about collecting the actual document and attaching them to this
page (license permitting), or a DOI link? What about merging the
separate publication list into this page (actually there was a
discussion on a canonical reference file for Debian related work on
debian-science some time ago)?

Note, these question are meant like: Is there consensus on doing it this
way, not that somebody else should do it ;-)

> It might be interesting to link to these existing studies from
> debian-history or debian-timeline, you might like to submit patches.

Definitely! It didn't even know about debian-history.

> Personally I feel that research without feedback to Debian is
> suboptimal, we should be able to learn from studies of Debian and
> change in positive ways as a result.

The publication itself can be considered feedback -- it is just that you
need to know that it is there in order to be able to read it in order to
form a personal opinion.

--
Michael Hanke
http://mih.voxindeserto.de