Re: Better visibility of "what can you do with Debian" on the Debian main page

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > My proposal (which is orthogonal) is linking to applications, just to show
> > that Debian is not just an operating system as defined on our title page
> > ("set of basic programs and utilities that make your computer run.")
> I recently wondered if we should use the (buzz word) "application
> store".  I do not really like buzz words but we are de facto what people
> understand behind this word.  I have no idea if we might be able to do
> better with the wording because usually you *buy* something in a store,
> but Debian is some place where you get things for free.

+1 for the right line of thinking -- I kept using appstore analogy to
regular mortals for a while to describe what Debian brings to their
desktops.

"app store" might indeed be too bold though... may be "app
emporium/outlet/warehouse/depot" with less direct sale-oriented meaning,
but those would not, as well as the original "store", anyhow hint on the
"integration" aspect of Debian.  any other close analogy?

something like "app universe" would bring a link to "Universal OS" but
might be too abstract...