Re: DEP5: Public domain works

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:47:08PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
Le Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 12:47:20PM +0100, Bernhard R. Link a écrit :

3) public domain in some domains only. For example works made by US
goverment employees. Those are public domain in the US, but you will need a license elsewhere.

[…]

Note that 4) is the only public domain that is in my eyes enough for Debian to treat it like an free license. So if that is not applicable, then having a keyword "public domain" does not make much sense.

I think that we need a way to express the fact that a work has been placed in the public domain in a country and has no license otherwise. At least for U.S. works, such software has been already accepted in Debian:

We _do_ have a way to express it now.  Just not a Short name for it.

So simply _avoid_ using the reserved Short name "public-domain" as that has a very special meaning.

...which makes me wonder: Is it perhaps better that we _remove_ that reserved Short name, so as to treat any tagging using that keyword as being custom, rather than the high risk of it being wrongly tagged?

 - Jonas