Re: DEP5: CANDIDATE and ready for use in squeeze+1

Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> On to, 2011-01-13 at 17:15 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > Yeah, I think Source should be optional for native packages.
>
> Would anyone oppose making such a change? Does Policy allow it? If
> there's consensus for, and it's ok by Policy, then I'd be happy to apply
> a patch someone provides. :)

FWIW, I don't think it's necessary to modify DEP5 for this at this time.
I particularly don't want to slow down your standardization process.

Especially if the plan is to later remove policy's requirement that
copyright specify the Source, which would presumably mean deprecating
the field in DEP5. And there's a good agument that policy's current
requirement is vestigial, having been supersceded by more specific
information that is provided in a machine-usable format in the watch
file and Homepage field. The only remaining use for Source in DEP5 would
then be things like "Source: usenet posting from 1983".

--
see shy jo