Re: What is annoying in the flattr buttons?

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 13:56:18 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Tshepang Lekhonkhobe <tshepang@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Anyways, you should not complain when someone asks you to give them
> > money, even if it results in you feeling guilty for not complying.
>
> I respectfully disagree.  Depending on the context and the situation, I
> may consider someone asking me to give them money to be intrusive and
> obnoxious, and I reserve the right to complain when it happens in shared
> public space.

You can complain all you want (a valid expression of your freedom of
speech), but you have no right to restrict others' freedom of the same.
If you find particular words annoying, feel free to exercise your
own freedom to ignore them, but don't impose restrictions based on your
own preferences. Raphael has every right to attempt to pursue his field
of endeavor in any tolerant/respectful manner he chooses. Let him
experiment.

The only legitimate argument I've seen in this thread is the privacy
concern. Since flattr, and of course any other external site, has the
ability to collect browsing habits without click throughs (a privacy
violation), all external content should be blocked, as mentioned
previously.  Of course, that creates a new problem; desired content is
obstructed as well.  Then again a quick and easy solution is to
duplicate that lost content directly on the planet server.

Mike