Re: commercial spam on planet

Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> writes:

> How much spam do you find tolerable? Would it be ok if I sell
> advertisment space on my blog and syndicate this to planet? You know, I
> need to eat too...

Where I personally draw the line is that I'm fairly comfortable with
Debian-involved people advertising their own services on Planet Debian:
their own companies, their own consulting services, their own posts, and
so forth.  I would start getting very annoyed if syndicated blogs
contained advertising for third parties.

The stuff pushing Flattr directly is sort of borderline since it verges on
multi-level marketing, but it's also a little like asking for donations
using PayPal.  It does advertise PayPal in a way, but only ancillary to
the core purpose.

(This is entirely apart from the question of whether Flattr is a good
idea.  Personally, I think it's a scam and am surprised by how many people
are endorsing it.  But one of the points of Planet Debian is that it
includes all of the project, in all of our disagreements.)