Re: No general political content on Planet

Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

>> The little minus next to someone's name seems to deal with that
>> reasonably well if one doesn't feel up to ignoring it.

> I get no “little minus” next to anyone's name on the Planet Debian
> syndication feed. Are you perhaps conflating the interface-independent
> information content of Planet Debian with a single interface to that
> information?

Yes, that's what I was referring to.

FWIW, this bit came across as very condescending and immediately made me
angry and defensive, although I got over it.  The correction also seems
somewhat unnecessary, since you seem to have understood what I meant.  I
was pointing out an interface feature that in the past some readers
haven't known about, for those people who (like I do) go directly to the
web site, and this sort of aggressive-sounding correction mostly just
makes me less likely to post information I think could be helpful in the
future.

If you had instead phrased your response more along the lines of "that
works if you're reading directly from the web site, but if you're reading
via an RSS feed it isn't as simple," it would have removed all of the
negative tone from your message and I would have even been grateful for
the supplementary information.

Anyway, presumably decent feed reader software either has or could have
added to it a similar feature to suppress particular posts from the
collective feed by various criteria.  The authorship information is in the
feed for a feed reader to do something with.

> Hopefully the suggestion to split non-Debian topics out to a separate
> feed (or, equivalently, to provide a Debian-topics-only feed which is
> the only one provided on Planet Debian) will be followed more often.

Eh.  We've had that argument several times, and it's quite clear that many
Planet Debian readers do *not* want people to do that, so I think that
"hopefully" can't really be anything other than an expression of personal
preference.  Others have different preferences (myself included).  As you
say, actually:

> Agreed. Others have expressed the position that reading occasional
> non-Debian posts in the Planet Debian flow helps to relate to other
> members as people with lives outside Debian; that seems something of
> value that we should be careful not to sacrifice cheaply.

Exactly.