Re: DEP-5: general file syntax

Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.fi> writes:
> On la, 2010-08-21 at 01:58 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> I was assuming that's how we'd get to a 1.1 version.  I haven't read
>> DEP-0 recently, though, so I guess I have a poor grasp of how this is
>> supposed to work.  I'll go review it.  If we pick up the files in
>> debian-policy, then wherever we publish them from should really publish
>> the versions from the debian-policy package.

I've reviewed it and undersand better now.  DEP material is supposed to be
incorporated into other documents where appropriate, rather than being
maintained as a DEP.  That was the bit that I was missing.

> I was assuming we'd have the current official version be in the
> debian-policy package, and published at http://www.debian.org/doc/ or
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ rather than on dep.debian.net.
> The final version of DEP-5 would have a pointer to the version in
> debian-policy. That's why I'm having such as bad time figuring out how
> to put the version in the URL.

Yeah, that makes more sense.

> However, it now strikes me that the filename in debian-policy can just
> have the version number. So the filename would start out as
> copyright-format-1.0.txt, and when it changes, the the filename changes
> to copyright-format-1.1.txt. Does that sound reasonable?

> The URL for Format would then be something like

> http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format-1.0.html

> That's a bit long, perhaps.

We might want to talk to debian-www about possible alternatives at some
point (packaging-manuals is really long), but I think that's basically the
right idea.

Format: http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/

would fit easily in 80 columns, and I think we can probably generate the
right directory structure for that.  Something like:

Format: http://www.debian.org/doc/standards/copyright-format/1.0/

would be even shorter, of course, but I don't know if it's worth the
disruption.