Re: DEP-5: general file syntax

Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.fi> writes:
> On pe, 2010-08-20 at 17:05 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> I think a better approach would be to, once the document has settled
>> down, publish it with a version number and give that version of the
>> document a permanent URL.  So, for instance, we would publish DEP-5 1.0
>> and give it a URL something like http://dep.debian.net/DEP-5/1.0 at
>> which it would always be found.  If we publish a new version of the
>> document, the new version would be put at
>> http://dep.debian.net/DEP-5/1.1, but the old version wouldn't be
>> changed.

> DEPs are not supposed to change after they're approved, so it should be
> a new DEP rather than DEP-5/1.1, but that's a trivial detail.

> How would that tie in with updating it via the normal policy process? I
> thought we'd keep the file in the debian-policy package for future
> updates.

I was assuming that's how we'd get to a 1.1 version.  I haven't read DEP-0
recently, though, so I guess I have a poor grasp of how this is supposed
to work.  I'll go review it.  If we pick up the files in debian-policy,
then wherever we publish them from should really publish the versions from
the debian-policy package.