Re: Debian accepting Social Micropayment?

Hi Steffen,

I assume nothing in your mail is adressing me privately
so I'm quoting it in my reply to the mailing list.

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 06:18:39PM +0200, Steffen Möller wrote:
> On 08/17/2010 05:24 PM, Patrick Schoenfeld wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 05:02:43PM +0200, Steffen Möller wrote:
> >
> we should only help collecting when we are certain to know what we are
> doing.

Agreed.

> > 2) Not every *developer* in our project might agree that this money "should
> > then go to upstream". After all we have packages which are *quite*
> > a lot of work for the Debian developers maintaining them. They might
> > find it unfair to see users spending money (possibly on their work)
> > which then ends in the hands of other people.
> >
> well, that is correct, but this means that that maintainer should then
> be considered a part of upstream, then. and hopefully upstream
> recognizes that effort and gives some money to its package maintainer
> and then co-developer.

Ehm, yeah, and my father is the emperor of china, then.
As you know, in Debian we have to deal at least with:

- uncorporative upstreams
- dead upstreams
- corporative upstreams

But even for the last group no one can expect our upstreams
to share donations with their downstreams. Consider the amount
of work this would mean for them. How should this work
after all?
So clearly if we'd want to do this and if we'd want to share
what comes in with our own developers we need to do the allocation
(or give it into the hands of SPI for obvious reasons) ourselves.

Best Regards,
Patrick