Re: DEP-5: general file syntax

Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:
> Le Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 09:29:33AM +1200, Lars Wirzenius a écrit :

>> For Disclaimer, and Comment if we add that, it might be helpful to have
>> empty lines, but word-wrapping is definitely needed. Newlines are not
>> significant.

> some debian/copyright files contain extracts of correspondance between
> the maintainer and an upstream person, for instance when the status of
> some files need to be clarified.

> Would they be removed, transferred to a non-parsable section of the file
> (with a mechanism to be determined, for instance similar to DEP-3), or
> would they be suitable for comment fields (if we introduce them).

> In the case they are put in a comment field, ignoring newlines is likely
> to make them difficult to read.

I wonder if we should have some terminator for the machine-readable
portion of debian/copyright, below which is free-form supporting material
like complete e-mail exchanges and whatnot.  That seems to me like the
best way of handling the problem of attaching a complete e-mail exchange.

Those exchanges aren't the actual license or copyright information, which
can still be stated in a structured form.  They're usually just defenses
of why thet claimed license information is what it is (when it may, for
example, contradict or supplement information included in the source
files).