Re: Debian accepting Social Micropayment?

Hi,

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, Steffen Möller wrote:
> there is a new advent on the Internet horizon which is the social
> micropayment. Regular web users pay in some money and distribute that
> with respect to their clicks in the web. I feel that Debian should
> somehow participate with that, i.e. we should have links whenever we
> display a package in the bts or in the pts, that allows the user to
> "flattr" or otherwise support that package. The amount collected should
> then go to upstream. Maybe we should not do this for all packages but
> only when upstream asks for it.

I don't think we should do that.

But Debian might want to use Flattr to collect donations of Flattr users
(but those donations would be for Debian itself). See thread on
debian-www:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-www/2010/07/threads.html#00086

We should not put Flattr buttons everywhere, only in the usual donation
page.

That said I plan to write a software that scans the installed packages,
and propose to flattr the corresponding upstream projects that are using
Flattr. This would be a part of the Flattr Foss project
(http://raphaelhertzog.com/flattr-foss/).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer ◈ [Flattr=20693]

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)