Re: [DEP5] [patch] Renaming the ‘Maintainer’ field ‘Contact’

gregor herrmann <gregoa@debian.org> writes:

> I remember CPAN maintainers (sic!) being interested in the status of
> their modules in Debian.  Without a Maintainer (or whatever) field in
> d/copyright (or somewhere else but I don't know a better place) we are
> not able to provide a mapping for that.

I can definitely see the desire for this metadata, but it feels to me like
it would be better tracked in a separate file, such as Charles's proposed
upstream metadata file.

This feels like an unreliable way to provide that mapping anyway, since
people's e-mail addresses and even the forms of their names vary over
time, and I'm not sure you'd reliably get the right data.  I think you'd
want to have a field somewhere where you can track people by CPAN ID,
which wouldn't change.