Re: DEP-5 meta: New co-driver; current issues

On 08/12/2010 02:45 PM, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
 > It would be good to have DEP-5 done quite early in the squeeze+1
> development cycle to give as much time as possible for adoption.

A few comments:
- Personally I find the format unnecessarily complicated and much more annoying
to use than writing a normal debian/copyright file, especially for complicated
cases.
- Migrating all packages to the new format is an insane task which would take a
*long* time and a lot of work. Time which could be spent much better on more
important tasks, like fixing RC bugs or releasing faster.
- Instead of writing such files (and keeping them updated), we should put more
energy into doing this task automatically. There are various tools to analyze
licenses automatically, for example from OpenLogic (commercial unfortunately) or
http://fossology.org/ - tasks which could be handled automatically should be
done automatically, even if it means that we need to spend time to write tools
to do so (yes, I know this is not an easy task).

So my opinion in short words: DEP-5 is a nice idea, but too far away from reality.

Cheers,

Bernd

 GPG Fingerprints: 06C8 C9A2 EAAD E37E 5B2C BE93 067A AD04 C93B FF79
                   ECA1 E3F2 8E11 2432 D485 DD95 EB36 171A 6FF9 435F