Re: DEP-5 and public domain

Le Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 02:05:42AM +1000, Ben Finney a écrit :

> To my eye, ‘License: NO’ has exactly the wrong connotation (“the
> recipient has no copyright license to this work”). The obvious reaction
> to that would be “okay, then we can't have it in Debian”.

Hi Ben,

there would still be no ambiguity, since in one case there is a copyright
holder, who does not give a license and therefore makes his work unavailable
for Debian, and on the other hand, there is no copyright holder, because the
work is not copyrightable.

Would the following paragraphs summarise well the discussion ?

  As a special case, the fist line of the `License` field can be used to
  document that a work has no license, and further explanations can be
  provided in the continuation lines. The following short names are used:

  [[!table data="""
  `No`           | The work is not licenseable.
  `PD`           | The work has been placed in the public domain.
  """]]

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy