Re: DEP5: License section

On ti, 2010-12-21 at 14:04 +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 10:26:22AM +0000, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> >On ti, 2010-12-21 at 00:37 +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> >> The License shortname list includes an "other" name describes as
> >> being "any other custom license".  Nowhere is it explicitly described
> >> that other-FOO or FOO is allowed in addition to the officially listed
> >> shortnames.  I suggest to replace that final "other" shortname in the
> >> list with a short text decribing explicitly that a) any custom names
> >> is permitted, b) it is encouraged to use a custom name that might be
> >> suitable for later adoption in the official list, and c) it is
> >> encouraged to use a leading "other-" for exotic licenses unsuitable
> >> for adoption in the list.
> >
> >The License field description includes this (after the above
> >modification; the wording at the beginning was slightly different
> >earlier):
> >
> >        If there are licenses present in the package without a standard
> >        short name, an arbitrary short name may be assigned for these
> >        licenses.  These arbitrary names are only guaranteed to be
> >        unique within a single copyright file.
> >
> >Should be clear enough.
>
> It solves a) but not b) or c).

I don't think it is appropriate for us to make DEP5 users make value
judgements on what licenses are or are not suitable for inclusion into
the official list of shortnames.

> I don't have an opinion on whether MIT license is ambiguous or not, but
> notice that it is still (in Bazaar repo as of today) not listed in the
> "Short name" section, but _is_ listed in the "Problematic Licenses"
> section.
>
> So your proposal to "add link to DEP5" is, I believe, tied to removing
> it from "Problematic Licenses", and this we should discuss.

No, I don't suggest that at all. I suggest keeping it where it is and
adding a link to it. I don't care what happens to it, so nothing else
will happen unless and until someone proposes concrete changes.

--
Blog/wiki/website hosting with ikiwiki (free for free software):
http://www.branchable.com/