Re: DEP5: copyright statement form, etc

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 11:23:47AM +0000, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
On su, 2010-11-14 at 12:59 +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
Dear Lars and everybody,

here are two answers and a proposition for editorial changes.

> * Should we suggest people keep the upstream copyright statements > verbatim, including the word "Copyright" or c-in-a-circle or > whatever?

Given that the upstream authors are somtimes themselves inconsistent, this would probably give extra work and possilibities of failure to the Debian package maintainer. I think that the current draft is good as it is.

We should, of course, allow people to copy copyright statement verbatim into debian/control. However, since that can result in a fair bit of redundancy, with all the repeated "Copyright" words, some might prefer to simplify things and use something like the format the current examples in DEP5 do.

Personally, I don't think we should suggest either verbatim or mangling. However, it would be good if all the examples didn't use the mangled format. Thus, we could change some examples to be unmangled.

Makes good sense to me to deliberately provide examples of both kinds.

Personally I favor mangling, but I understand how some may prefer to copy verbatim.

How about adding an explicit note that the file format enforces neither mangling nor preserving copyright prefix - perhaps adding/repeating that Debian Policy is the place for eventual restrictions like that.

 - Jonas