Re: QTS ( was Re: user support - Shapado instance for Debian)

I am going to be quite blunt. Please be forewarned.

On pe, 2010-10-08 at 13:39 +0200, Jesús M. Navarro wrote:
> Does it?  With regards to any assymetric relationship, benefit is in finding
> common grounds.  What I mean is, think of an extreme scenario, one where only
> newbies asking for help visit, say, a web forum with no expert over there.
> This extreme case would be worse than no help at all, since it would be bound
> to rise both cargo cult (I saw once a so called expert and he did something
> like this, though I don't know why, I know it worked) and bad practices
> (think of ten year old children explaining one another how babies are made).

It is, indeed, entirely possible that an experiment in making the Debian
community function better is not going to be successful. I don't know if
the ask.debian.net site will be successful or not. It might fail, it
might not. If it doesn't fail outright, it might still not be a good
addition to the Debian ecosystem. Nobody knows that either. Yet.

It is, however, a really bad idea to suggest experimentation should not
be attempted because it might fail. The failure mode here is not
catastrophic; there is no need to be excessively cautious. Painting
doomsday images is uncalled for.

This is "stop energy", pure and simple.
http://www.userland.com/whatIsStopEnergy

This behavior pattern is one of the reasons why Debian moves less slowly
than it could. We need to have room to experiment, and it needs to be OK
to fail.