Support timeframe

Title: Support timeframe
Hello,

In general, how long is a version for Debian supported?  Ie, I believe that it is Microsoft’s policy to stop providing support (patches, fixes, etc) after 6 years from a release.  Is there any such policy for Debian and if so- what is it?  What would it be for version 5?  Ie, is it safe to say that version 5 will not be supported after 2014?

The reason why I ask is because we have a hardware appliance that is based on Debian and we are working on upgrading to version 5.  Because the previous version is not longer supported, we need to provide a patch policy for our appliance.

--

Regards,
Steve

Steve R. Smith, CISSP, CISM
 |   Product Manager
Alert Logic, Inc.
Direct: 713-351-1761   |   Mobile: 713-689-9742   |   Fax: 713-660-7988
ssmith@alertlogic.com |   www.alertlogic.com