Re: A team to grant rights on collab-maint?

On Jun 14, 2010, at 12:45, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> Hello,
>
> ever since I created the Alioth collab-maint project [1], I have been adding
> non-developers to the project so that they can work together with
> other DD (sponsors) on a common VCS. 359 requests have been approved since
> 2005, it currently amounts to 5 to 20 requests every month.

This is a service I use and I find it valuable.

> The threshold
> for acceptance is very low:
> - I verify that they want to join for a valid reason (want to maintain
>  their package there, want to help a maintainer that host packages there)
> - if they don't give a reason in the request, I verify if they are part of
>  other teams on Alioth, if yes I grant the access because someone else
>  already has had contact with him, otherwise I reply to the mail and ask
>  for more information (and reject if I get no proper answer)
>
> And I must always reject a couple of requests by DD that don't know that
> they already have write access through ACL.
>
> This project started for two reasons:
> - encourage usage of public VCS with broad write permissions (all DD)
>  even for single packages
> - be able to refuse single-package project request on Alioth that would
>  only clutter the project list when they only need some space to dump
>  their VCS files (see http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/PackagingProject)
>
> Now I would like to stop dealing with those requests and thus I would like
> a team of people to replace me.
>
> Is there an existing team that could take this responsibility? [2]
>
> Are there volunteers for the task?

I would be willing to volunteer as part of a team. I work with the debian-perl team and find that group maintenance and co-operation makes things function quite smoothly. I would like to mention I am not a DD (yet), but have never found this to be a problem when contributing to Debian.

Regards,

Jeremiah