Re: Welcome to our 2010 Debian Google Summer of Code students!

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 08:54:16AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [Josselin Mouette]
> > Sorry but I have to object to a project that is based on non-free
> > software. Especially when we have free and superior packages in the
> > archive that provide similar functionality.

> Objection noted, and it is of course accepted and understood that you
> do not help out with this project.  I do on the other hand expect you
> to not create hurdles for the student to allow the student to be as
> productive as possible.

Although it seems this isn't actually non-free software, I find your
response here inappropriate because it implies developers have no right to
object to a GSoC project done in Debian's name that involves non-free
software.  We absolutely do - I share Josselin's position that GSoC should
never be used to benefit projects depending on non-free software in Debian's
name.  This runs counter to the shared values that define Debian itself, and
would be a misappropriation of Debian's reputation.