Re: Squeeze, firmware and installation

On Wed, 05 May 2010 21:57:46 +0300, Arto Jantunen wrote:
> Seriously speaking, to me it seems very clear that non-free firmware
> will not be present on official installer images. Then again, the
> installer team has made it very easy to inject firmware during
> installation on machines where it's needed.

The non-free archive is actively maintained and supported by the
Debian project, so a precedent is already set.  I personally don't see
any difference with respect to providing an option for non-free
installation media as well; so long as there remains a fully free
option. The developers that are interested in that feature should be
free to implement it if they so choose, and users should be free to
make their own choices about their use of non-free software.

Mike