Re: PTS subscription exposure

On Tue, 02 Mar 2010, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
>  This is IMNSHO a serious violation and breach of privacy. It doesn't

IMO it's not. The PTS is like launchpad but for Debian and there you can
see who is subscribed to each package and to each bug:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dpkg
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dpkg/+bug/262451

See "bug subscriptions" and "subscribers" box on the right.

Lucas had my blessing as PTS maintainer to expose hashed versions of the
emails.

> information", rather the contrary. Such changes to data that are known
> and expected to be private have to get discussed *before* making them
> public instead of afterwards claiming one can feel free to "raise the
> topic on a mailing list".

It has been discussed with the PTS maintainers and I decided it was OK for
him to do that. My main concern was not exposing email to protect from
spam.

We're working in an open manner, I fail to see what you fear by letting
people know on what you are subscribed or not. Quite on the contrary I
find it valuable information for MIA-tracking, for finding possible
co-maintainers, etc.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog