Re: DEP5: “ugliness” and Format field.

Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:

> For the contents of the Format field, I think that more than allowing
> forks, the main motivation of using URIs is to let the readers of the
> Debian copyright file find the specification easily.

> After the DEP is accepted, it can be moved to a more stable location,
> something like http://www.debian.org/doc/machine-readable-copyright/1.0
> for instance.

It's also very common these days in the standards community, and I think
for very good reasons, to identify standards versions via a URI that can
also be used to retrieve the standard.  This is done by, for instance, the
W3C, the larger XML/SGML community, OASIS, and freedesktop.org.  I think
this is a good tradition to follow.