Re: Welche Debian Version?

Lieber Herr Schaudt,

you chose the wrong mailing list, you probably wanted to post on
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user-german/

Manfred Schaudt wrote:
> seit längerer Zeit versuche ich auf Linux umzusteigen. Das jetzige Betriebssystem auf meinem Targa PC läuft mit Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3, AMD AthlonTM XP 2400+, 2.00 GHz,256MB RAM, Grafikkarte ATI Allin Wonder 9000 (Microsoft Corporation).
> Die einzigen Betriebssysteme die ich bis jetzt auf diesem System zum Laufen brachte sind Debian 5.0 Lenny, Kernel Linux: 6.26-1-686,
> Gnome 2.22.3 und Privatix 2.6.26-1-486, i686.

this sounds rather good.

> Leider lassen sich diese Live- Programme von der DVD der Zeitschrift
> PC- Welt Linux nur auf USB- Stick Installieren.

Hm. Strange. One would not expect that.

> Haben Sie mir einen Vorschlag mit welchem Programm ich endlich auf Linux umsteigen kann?
> Die genaue Bezeichnung oder ein link zum richtigen Programmwäre super.

What people often do it to install a minimal operating system via a CD and then
retrieve the remainder of software from the net. There are CD images offered on
 http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst.de.html which I would go for. But I'd
need to know more about your local infrastructure, consider to consult your
closest Linux users group.

With modern applications, also with Linux, you won't have too much fun running
with 256MB of RAM. There are some distributions aiming at exactly such setups,
like DamnSmallLinux or Puppy Linux, both are live CDs but may also be
installable to your hard disk, I don't recall for the moment. For a regular
setup, I suggest to invest a bit into RAM. For a start it should be just fine,
though.

Kind regards,

SM