Re: Debian money

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
> > Some months ago Debian asked for sponsored hardware:
> > http://www.debian.org/News/2009/20090208
> >
> > I did not read any news about his, so maybe we could use some
> > money for such infrastructure hardware.
>
> We were and are still hoping to get at least one machine sponsored as described
> - please note that a performant SAN infrastructure is REALLY expensive. If you

No need for SAN, direct-attached SAS or a SAS enclosure would be sufficient
for both snapshot.d.o and data.d.o (with a proper hardware-raid controller
so that you get the NVS required to run RAID6 without disabling write caches
entirely).  You also need a 64bit box with *LOTS* of RAM to use as
read­cache, since the datasets are really large.

It should cost less than US$ 50k.  The problem is that you also need to be
able to backup that much disk space.  I have no idea how much that would
cost.  Tape autochangers are NOT cheap, nor are the tapes.

And after all that, there's the network bandwidth.

So yes, this is the sort of stuff that would work much better if sponsored
by a datacenter :-)

  Henrique Holschuh