Re: Summary of the debian-devel BoF at Debconf9

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 07:28:09PM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> "Bernhard R. Link" <brlink@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Perhaps there is a way to […] discourage all meta-discussion or
> > mentioning of "fallacy", "ad-hominem" or "strawman" on the other
> > lists.
>
> Perhaps you have a better way of succinct terms to use when challenging
> those logical fallacies? Surely you're not saying you want such
> fallacies to go unchallenged in the forums where they appear?

Please find below a form which I hope you find useful:

Dear _NAME_,

It appears to me that you have a "logical fallacy", in your message
_MSGID_. This first occurs on line _LINENUM_.

 [ ] argumentum ad antiquitatem
 [ ] argumentum ad hominem
 [ ] argumentum ad ignorantiam
 [ ] argumentum ad logicam
 [ ] argumentum ad misericordiam
 [ ] argumentum ad nauseam
 [ ] argumentum ad numerum
 [ ] argumentum ad populum
 [ ] argumentum ad verecundiam
 [ ] circulus in demonstrando
 [ ] complex question
 [ ] dicto simpliciter
 [ ] naturalistic fallacy
 [ ] nature, appeal to
 [ ] non sequitur
 [X] petitio principii
 [ ] post hoc ergo propter hoc
 [ ] red herring
 [ ] slippery slope
 [ ] straw man
 [ ] tu quoque

Replies to have been set to debian-devel-prime. This is the same list as
debian-devel, but adds a "X-Prime: 1" counter which increments with each suffix
of -prime. Thus meta-meta-meta discussions are sent to
debian-devel-prime-prime-prime@lists.debian.org.

This may not render your entire argument invalid, please re-submit your
message for consideration once the above has been corrected, and
everyone has had time for a glass of milk and a cookie.

Hugs, and kisses,
_MYNAME_
--
<@nurn> Paedophile Glitter arrives in UK