Re: On cadence and collaboration

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 10:25 PM, Matthias Andree<matthias.andree@gmx.de> wrote:

>  i.   if you can't deal with a bug, tell somebody who can. Leaving it to rot
>       is going to drive users away.

Leaving bugs to rot happens everywhere, in various upstreams, in
Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora and probably other distributions. There just
are not enough free software developers in existence to perform all of
the needed maintenance on each and every free software project in
existence.

>  ii.  make package owners explicit. Just assigning package responsibilities for
>       all packages to some opaque mailing list evidently does not work. The
>       list gets my upstream maintainer updates to the bug, yet nobody cares.

IIRC Ubuntu universe specifically works the opposite way and I'm
unsure if Ubuntu have enough universe developers to change this.

> I'm not going to ferret up all possible downstreams.

One tool that makes that easier is 'whohas':

http://www.philippwesche.org/200811/whohas/intro.html

I've personally used it with both upstream and Debian hats on and was
very happy to find that it exists.

--
bye,
pabs