Re: The Python mess in Debian

Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> To come back to Debian....
>
> Luk Claes wrote:
>> Hmm, AFAICT python2.6 did not really happen in Debian yet because
>> Mathias is trying to not continue with the existing hacks that have
>> major issues when upgrading and wants to have a clean solution.
>
> The only hack is the broken piece of python-central and Matthias not being able
> to accept that somebody else is able to provide a well working solution without
> a ton of hacks which makes it a pain in the ass to migrate away from it. We now
> have a *lot* of packages with extra maintainer scripts which take care of
> cleaning up behind python-central. That's not the way ho things should work.

AFAIK python-central does have the necessary tools to clean up.

You might notice that in the proposal nor python-central nor
python-support would remain...

>> AFAICS
>> that was already communicated in February [0] and was only really acted
>> on around DebConf [1].
>
> Wrong. Several people tried to contact Matthias on various ways and never got a
> reply. He also completely failed to communicate with those people who maintain
> most Python related packages on Debian, except during Debconf. This is *NOT* the
> way how Python should be maintained. Actually several people already thought
> abut hijacking Python due to the complete lack of communication with the Python
> Maintainer, who prefers to force his changes on people instead of finding an
> acceptable resolution. While I think that large parts of this are the result of
> him being overworked due to Ubuntu stuff, this is not the way how things should
> go. During Debconf [1] came up, but I can't see it happen soon as there are
> *way* too many problems with the proposal, and it would bring us back to
> pre-Etch areas..

You seem to misunderstand what the problems to be solved are and what
the proposed solution would bring.

> There were rumours that Python 2.6 was not uploaded to unstable due to bugs or
> missing things in python-support, but as usual there was no bug filed, and
> nobody talked to the python-support maintainer.
>
>> You can blame everyone involved, but I think it
>> might be better to cooperate on fixing it instead.
>
> Don't even think about blaming me for not trying to cooperate on Python related
> things if you have no damn clue.

I did not intend to blame you at all, sorry if it seemed I did.

AFAICT, the real problem is that after unpack many python modules do not
work as they use symlink hackery in the postinst.

Cheers

Luk