Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 07:46:51AM +0100, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> When you have two large, complex, passionate organisations there will
> always be plenty of opportunities to find fault with one another. Do you
> not believe that it would be possible to find a long list of cases where
> Debian developers have acted in a way that made collaboration difficult
> or impossible, or could be interpreted as bad faith? Of course it would.

The bug report in question actually reflects the cooperation between
Ubuntu and Debian on (E)GLIBC in general (see [1] for more details).

> Instead of saying "there's a bug that was badly handled, so we should
> never collaborate better on anything", let's look for opportunities to
> make things better. We have a good opportunity to make a profound change
> in the way upstreams and distributions engage. A change that will really
> help the whole free software ecosystem, and many distributions beyond
> Ubuntu and Debian. Isn't it worth exploring that idea for its full value?

Even if it is not directly visible to the end-user, the libc is
essential to a GNU/Linux distribution.

Does this mean that Ubuntu will finally put some manpower on helping the
(E)GLIBC development, both on the packaging side and on fixing/reporting
upstream bugs? Currently Debian is doing most of the work.

Aurelien

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2009/08/msg00101.html

--
Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73