Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

> Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Does that mean you don't think Ubuntu developers contribute fixes
> > back to Debian today?

As security, contributing fixes back to Debian is not a product nor
a state, it's a process.  We should all be interested in optimizing this
process further.

http://patches.ubuntu.com/ indeed makes the packages easier to merge but
it is not as powerful as our patch tracking system [1].  One possible
step to improve the situation could be a similar service provided by
Ubuntu based on the work which already has been done by Sean Finney.
The source code is available in a public repository and it is GPL2
licensed.

After such a service would have been implemented one could think about
things like adding a special tag to patch headers to recommend these
patches to be merged by Debian.  It could also be useful to be able to
specify how strong such a recommendation is.

Is there already a (wiki) page which describes how a Debian maintainer
can track his packages in Ubuntu or how to handle Ubuntu originated
bugs?  If this is the case it should be promoted better, e.g. in Misc
Developer News.

Carsten

 [1] http://patch-tracking.debian.net/