Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 08:42:54AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Friday 31 July 2009, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > I don't believe the kind of coarse synchronization that's been proposed
> > for the releases would make Debian<->Ubuntu crossgrades significantly
> > easier. Most of the local changes that Ubuntu has today would still
> > apply, and there are rebuilt binaries that share version numbers,
> > introducing all kinds of fun possibilities.

> <paranoid>
> Right. So Ubuntu can put its paid developers to work to create a tested
> upgrade path from Debian to Ubuntu and Ubuntu can go off with its
> publicity budget and promote itself with that "feature".

> How "fun". I see zero benefit for Debian there.
> </paranoid>

Did you somehow read my comment in the opposite sense, or is this a very
special kind of paranoia indeed to conclude that Canonical is going to
invest extraordinary amounts of engineering effort for the express purpose
of stealing Debian users, and this only once the releases are in sync, when
arguably this would have been equally feasible at any previous point?