Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 01:07:39PM +0000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> At the moment I could recommend Debian stable over Ubuntu LTS because
> it has more recent packages (2009/02 release versus 2008/04 release),
> or because it's an easier upgrade for people with existing Debian systems.

> With synchronised releases, both those reasons to run stable disappear.

I don't believe the kind of coarse synchronization that's been proposed for
the releases would make Debian<->Ubuntu crossgrades significantly easier.
Most of the local changes that Ubuntu has today would still apply, and there
are rebuilt binaries that share version numbers, introducing all kinds of
fun possibilities.