Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009, Frans Pop wrote:
> Both the Etch and Lenny releases did clearly show this, and the success of
> both releases (Etch more than Lenny IMO) is largely thanks to flexible
> starts of the incremental freeze stages.

The staged freeze has been a major pain for anyone working on the packages
affected by the first stage of the freeze. For dpkg/dpkg-dev we could not go
forward for almost 8 months.

There's no reason why we can't freeze all at the same time (or really have
very short delays between each stage of the freeze). The fixed date makes
it much more easy for everybody to remember when the freeze starts and
plan accordingly.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog