Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 09:16:26AM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> I don't think that we shouldn't time our releases according to what
> Mark Shuttleworth says. We are not Ubuntu's slave even if they try
> hard to make it look like that.
>
> In fact, I would prefer if Ubuntu had to change _their_ scheduled to
> accomodate us, if they want to have the advantage of being in sync
> with us. It's _their_ advantage after all, not ours.

No.  I personally couldn't care less about what Mark and/or Ubuntu
want for their releases and corresponding release times.

*BUT*

I'm de facto already synchronizing with specific people working on
Ubuntu packages derived from packages I maintain in Debian. For
instance, that happens in the OCaml team (maintainer for about 100
source packages): after various years of completely rotten and often
unusable OCaml libraries in Ubuntu, now there is someone on the Ubuntu
side which cares about them and work with us. That's good, they sync
with the OCaml team periodically and contribute back patches.

The state of the art is that, to keep the advantages of collaboration,
I'm interested in satisfying requests like « can you please be
"stable" at DDMMYYY so that we can synchronize? ». According to the
release team plan I will need to do that a bit less frequently and I
like the idea.

Sure, I'm _scared_ like everybody else about having a freeze coming up
a few months after the summer. And hey, we have also ongoing very big
changes in all OCaml packages (basically we have completely changed
the dependency scheme and switched to automatic dependency
computation).

Still, my current attitude is « hey, let's try if we can do that, if
we can it will be really cool ».

Cheers.