Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

On Wed, Jul 29 2009, Luk Claes wrote:

> Who would you like to propose a release cycle to the project if not
> the Release Team?

        A proposal would have been absolutely appropriate, with
 discussions by various teams as to the best time to freeze.

> To be clear the Release Team cannot just decide what the release cycle
> will be, though we proposed a plan in the team's keynote at DebConf
> and the plan was welcomed by the audience. There were some important
> considerations though.

        The audience for the talk was what fraction of the developer set?

> We do not plan to do a yearly release, we plan to have a release about
> every 2 years while having a one time exception for next release by
> freezing this December.

        Why? There are development plans underway by folks (and yes, I
 am one of them) where packages will be polished for release about a
 year from now -- and the short release cycle throws a monkey wrench
 into the works.

        Why was this not discussed before hand? Are we so beholden to
 canonical that we must slave our releases to their LTS? I thought they
 borrowed our code, not the other way around.

> The main reason is that the Release Team hopes to now have the
> momentum to make a time based freeze work. If we would delay, it will
> very probably mean that many developers 'forget' about what the time
> based freeze is about.

        If you want to get the developers behind your release schedule,
 keeping us in the loop is a better idea. As such, it seems to me you
 think that treating developers like mushrooms will have no impact on
 your precious release schedule.  I think you might find that the
 release team can't make releases on its own.

> The developers have had the opportunity and still have the opportunity
> to get stuff done before the release. It's true that developers should
> probably consider to already be careful about what to upload, but
> there is still opportunity to do changes till the freeze.

        I see no reason for developers kept out in the cod to do so;
 really.  While the release team might be constitutionally delegated to
 decide when to release on a whim, the developers are also
 constitutionally protected from having to do something they do not want

Sigmund Freud is alleged to have said that in the last analysis the
entire field of psychology may reduce to biological electrochemistry.